Saturday, December 19, 2015

a liitle levity

So, as we were making funeral arrangements for dad, we stopped by the house to pick up his dress uniform and cap.  I was feeling pretty overwhelmed, so I just grabbed a shopping bag and put everything in it to take to the funeral home. I can't say I made sure the bag was empty first.

Now all of you who know my mom know that she had an impish (or elfish) sense of humor.  And that she loved loved loved teddy bears.  When she passed away in 2011, we donated a few boxes of stuffies to BideaWee to keep the puppies and kitties company - and we still have a rocker full of them.  Mom also had some costumes for her bears - a Santa suit, sweaters, a Halloween outfit, etc.

So the day of the funeral, we arrive early, as families are supposed to.  We walk around to see that all the photos and things we'd brought were in place.  I walk solemnly up to the casket with the funeral director...and burst out laughing.  There, next to dad, next to his properly-positioned police cap, was a bright orange teddy bear sweater that said

 "BOO!"  

Thanks, Mom, I get it. You're here. You're very funny. We know you're here.

You two have fun now.


No comments:

Post a Comment