Wednesday, December 30, 2015

A Sad Goodbye from a Best Friend

From the Southampton Press this past week.  http://olive.pressnewsgroup.com/olive/odn/southamptonwest/shared/ShowArticle.aspx?doc=SPW%2F2015%2F12%2F24&entity=Ar00903&sk=EF42511E

I've always thought Dad had a striking resemblance to William Shatner in his younger days. I think of Stu as the Bones to Jim's Kirk  Or maybe the Spock.  Love you, Stu.

Sad Goodbye


I lost a friend this week [“James Doyle, Former Police Chief, Was 83,” December 17]. I met James “Jim” Doyle after I purchased Sheeley’s Pharmacy in 1962. He was a patrolman with the Westhampton Beach Police Department and came to my store to introduce himself—always a goodwill ambassador.

There are many memories I can talk about, but one of the brightest came after I was elected mayor and was able to appoint James P. Doyle as Chief of Police of the Westhampton Beach Police Department. I also had the pleasure to celebrate his retirement.

He and his wife, Marie, and myself and my wife, Mary Lou, enjoyed traveling and sharing many dinners together, including New Year’s Eve at Casa Basso, and also enjoyed visits with their daughter, Maya, her husband, Jason, and their son, Torben.

The many miles that separated us in later years did not diminish our friendship. Tears came to my eyes when his daughter, Maya, called early in the morning on December 14 to tell us of her father’s passing.

So now I say, goodbye Jim, it was an honor calling you the best friend anyone could have.

Stuart Tobin

Sahuarita, Arizona

No comments:

Post a Comment